Sharp Free Form Display
Sharp Reshapes the Display Industry
Built on innovative IGZO technology, the Sharp Free-Form Display (FFD) is a revolutionary advance that enables displays to be cut into in virtually any shape. This opens up a new world of possibilities for designers of automotive, wearable, and other types of products.
Conventional displays are rectangular because they require a minimal bezel width to accommodate the gate drivers around the display’s perimeter.
• At the edges of the panel
• Source Drivers - COG or TAB
Gate Driver Monolithic
• GDMs require bezel space
• Wide bezel is the result
FFDs move circuitry out of the bezel and into the active area of the display. This allows for a thinner, more stylish bezel, and enables cutting the display substrate into virtually any shape.
• No wasted space for circuits or drivers
• Integrated into pixel areas
• Source Drivers – on films
• IGZO’s high electron mobility enables FFD technology by providing higher light transmissivity and increased "on-display" circuit integration. These small, high-performance transistors allow room for logic to be driven in the pixel itself.