Memory LCD Technology
High Resolution. Long Battery Life. Thin, Lightweight Design.
Traditional graphic display module solutions include bi-stable, cholesteric, and STN technologies. These present a variety of design and performance issues, including high driving voltages, slow response time, image retention, complicated interfaces, and others.
The Memory LCD combines matrix technology with a one-bit memory circuit embedded into every pixel, so information is retained once it's written. This allows design of products with ultra-low power consumption and long battery life. It also delivers higher resolution, shock and temperature tolerance than e-paper (electronic paper) displays.
An embedded driver chip and peripheral circuit are located on the LCD glass.
Power consumption for 1.35-inch and 2.7-inch Memory LCDs
The Memory LCD requires just 1/40 ～ 1/80 of an STN-LCD’s power consumption and 1/1000 of an AM-TFT LCD’s power consumption.
• Excellent reflective display performance without the need to add a backlight.
• The embedded pixel memory stores graphic data – so no continuous refresh is required for a still image.
• Less power consumption is required during refresh than for traditional graphic displays.
• Memory LCDs have faster response time than traditional graphic or bi-stable displays, enabling video and scrolling text.
• Cholesteric, STN, and e-paper displays require longer times to update the display image (several hundred milliseconds).
• High-Resolution capability for graphic images
- 0.150 mm pixel pitch or narrower
• High Contrast for good indoor/outdoor readability
- Cholesteric and Reflective STN have below 10%; contrast and color are affected by temperature.
- Viewable in any light, from edge-of-vision darkness to brightest sunlight
- Reflective, plus Transflective models
• High Reflectivity for good indoor/outdoor readability
- HR Type: 20% (typ.)
• Wide/symmetrical viewing angle
- Up to 170° × 170°
The Memory LCD features simple 3-wire Serial I/F connectivity (SI, SCS, SCLK).
• Only a 3 V / 5 V single power supply is required*
• Only a 3 Capacitors Required.
• Fewer peripheral components = simplified design process.
*Depending on display model